Friday, February 29, 2008

Day 3, Kinkaid


Success!

Boy are we lucky Chad's Friday client canceled. If we had to trade windy, snowy Tuesday for today, well, we would have missed out on, essentially, the whole point of the trip. Ultimately, eight muskies were boated today, but I'd say only three would be considered "nettable". The queen of the bunch was the above, a 45.5 incher that had to go about 30 pounds. My pop thought he had bottom for a few seconds, then got one of the bigger shocks of his life (and his biggest muskie ever).

It's pretty cool that we went from icebreaking yesterday to 43-degree water today. Those few degrees made all the difference. Chad was probably the most relieved of any of us, since he had to worry that we didn't believe all the stories he had been telling us. Of course, my day wasn't complete until I actually caught one. All but one of the fish were caught by someone else. I finally got on the board with this little bugger, a 35 incher.


So all in all, I'd say it's much easier to catch a muskie in Illinois than it is in Minnesota :)

Possibly, having Chad Cain in the boat coulda...maybe...had a tiny bit to do with it...



And don't forget to do your part to keep Chad's wife busy, buy Llungen Lures, made in Carbondale, Il! Where should you buy them? Keep my muskie consultant Aaron busy at Muskytackleonline.com!

4 comments:

photogchic said...

Pretty amazing fish...not too bad shooting the video...my lessons are paying off.

Unknown said...

Derek!!
Nice fish there!
That's the biggest fishing net I've ever seen btw. You can even pull me outa water with it when I fall :)

I haven't fished ever since I came back to Japan.. I need to go fish sometimes.

Take me to Muskie (not Musky, right?) fishing sometime!!

Take care

Super K

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm impressed. I've never been able to catch much of anything during lake fishing. My father taught me the finer skills of river fishing, which I have tried to pass on to my son, but he just keeps catching tree branches.

Esoxer said...

I grew up fishing mostly rivers. Still trying to learn the lake thing. I know how to read riffles and pockets...sonar is another animal altogether.