Monday, February 18, 2008

Cabin Fever

So I have some anxiety about now. In just over a week, I am to begin fishing on Lake Kinkaid in Murphysboro, Ill. with Chad Cain. Problem is, there are still a few inches of ice on the lake. I've been checking weather sites a few times a day, hoping to see a huge warmup. It's supposed to get up to 56 on the day before I start fishing, but I don't know if that will be enough. The next three days are pretty much staying below freezing. I would prefer to go in March, but Chad, who may be the premier Muskie guide on the planet, is all booked up in March. Aaron Heimkes of Musky Tackle Online had a buddy go out with Chad last year in March and they boated 22 Muskies in two days. I've never even thought of that many. Me and my fishing partners have only boated 11 total if you count Tigers, seven if you don't.

Even if the ice is off, there's a very good chance most of the fishing is going to be of the trolling variety. I don't know about anyone else, but I find trolling to antithetical to the whole Muskie experience. For me, it's all about The Take and if you're not actively participating in The Take, you don't really get to experience it. Personally, I don't even think Muskies fight all that hard, especially the Tigers in Lake Merwin. They feel like dead wood. The big ones in Minnesota fight fairly well, but I wouldn't confuse them with a Bonefish or Barracuda. They're more crafty than anything...wrapping themselves around motors or snags then tossing the lure.

Sitting around with no fishing readily available simply turns me into a consumer. I bought some Storm Spin Tail Shad today, both the 9" and 6" variety. I'm not sure if they catch anything, but I had to do *something* fishing-related. I already got an Okuma Red Isis a few weeks ago for pretty much the same reason. I picked up a Fig Rig 7'6" MH from Cabela's Bargain Cove when I was in Rogers, MN last. It was missing the ceramic insert for its bottom guide so it was half off. I love my 6'10" Heavy Fig Rig and can't wait to try the new one with the Okuma on it. I need to spend more time fishing and less time purchasing.

No comments: