Saturday, March 8, 2008

Boats, redux

After spending some time talking to Chad Cain and others, I'm back looking at aluminum. Preferably, it will have front and rear casting decks of decent size, rod storage of (at least) 7'6", though 9' would be optimal. If I can find a used fiberglass with a deep V, I'll certainly be interested, I just don't hold out much hope I will find one at a price I want to spend.

I think 16 1/2' would be the smallest boat I'd be interested in, though 17 1/2-18' is perfect. I still haven't decided on single side-console or tiller yet. Either would work for the right price, I suppose.

So I made a list, to make it easier for myself to remember which ones would be good for Esox fishing and be able to go on big water. Many Lunds don't have a large casting deck in the front, and none at all in the back. So in many ways, I'd actually prefer an Alumacraft to a Lund. I think the Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750 SC is my current top Aluminum choice.

In any case, here is the list:

Crestliner
Tournament
Fish Hawk

Alumacraft
Dominator
Tournament Pro
Navigator
Magnum (older model)
(other models, such as Lunker and Classic, have sides that are too low)

Lund
Predator
Pro Guide
Explorer SS
Mr Pike

Tuffy
1760

MirroCraft

1875 Aggressor EXP
1751 Aggressor

Polarkraft
Kodiak

Smokercraft
ProMag
ProAngler

YarCraft
1785

No comments: