Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Minnesota, here I come!

Got my tickets to Minnesota last night. Will get there the evening of May 31st and leave July 5th. This should allow for plenty of fishing, enough to seriously kill my shoulder blades. I've been reading Muskies on the Shield and Pro Tactics: Muskie and Pro Tactics: Pike pretty much non-stop for the past week. It's amazing how much you can learn about fishing from books. I've also been reading the publications from the Minnesota DNR, long range muskie and pike planning, spawning habitat studies, etc.

Now the logistics of getting all my stuff to MN is going to bog me down mentally. Frontier Airlines doesn't accept any package over 80" and my rod tube is at least 90" with the rods I want to take in it. That means I have to ship. It wasn't a problem on Northwest Airlines, so I probably should have looked into that beforehand. But tickets for NWA were around $200 more, so I don't think that would have swayed me, looks like shipping them will only cost around $20.

After reading the Pike book, I went and bought some spoons. Yes, spoons. I don't think I've ever caught something on a spoon, despite throwing them for years in the Sandy River for Steelhead and Salmon when I was a little kid. I blame my father for the frustration. Reading the book, though, I was probably reeling too fast all those years. You're only supposed to reel to the point where they weave back&forth, not spin around. That's helpful information.

I got my 9wt Winston BIIx back from Winston, who was giving me a new top section after I lost it in Canada fishing the Vedder. I'm bringing my big fly rods on this trip, just to give me another option that I probably won't take advantage of.

I'm going to read the books again, after which I will form a plan of action for most situations. I don't remember what I read so well any more, so a plan will be a good thing. I will post it when complete.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I saw you mention my blog over at carp on the fly. What areas in MN will you be fishing? You mentioned a lake in Alex. If you end up around the Detroit Lakes area, let me know. Big Detroit was one of the hottest muskie lakes in the country last fall. There were many reports of 50"+ fish being caught last fall. There's some good opportunities to catch them on a fly there. I went out a couple times last summer, but it was always windy, and made casting difficult.

If you're interested in fishing for other species, like carp or buffalo, the Otter Tail river near Fergus Falls provides some excellent fly angling opportunities.

Esoxer said...

Yeah, I mentioned you, then noticed he already had you on his blogroll (it only makes sense) ;)

You've actually already given me this advice via fishingminnesota.com, I'm PDXFisher, which I am very appreciative of!

There is a *very* good chance I will be in the DL area, as my GF's family has members in Moorhead and Glyndon, and I go wherever someone will let me crash. I had planned on maybe hitting Pelican and Detroit at that time. Will likely be sometime around the third week in June, depending on how the Bemidji area is treating me. I hear a family member also has a cabin on LOTW, so that will be getting heavy consideration around the 21st.

So you're telling me I need to pack the waders, too, eh?

Unknown said...

Ah, PDXFisher.... the dots are connected.

If you fish the OT, you probably won't need waders, though knee boots may come in handy if fishing some of the backwaters. Could probably get by with on old pair of shoes if you don't mind getting them wet or muddy.


When it gets closer to that time, drop me a line (you can get my email from my profile on FM) and I'll see if I can get any recent reports. If you're interested in fishing the OT and want some company, let me know.

Esoxer said...

Dude, I always want company. I have my buddy Cliff with me, but he's an old codger who won't touch a fly rod. I desperately need to expand my pool of fishing partners beyond him and my father.

I would love to learn more about what you do and how to do it.

I had only planned on bringing 9wt rods. I also have 6 and 7, what makes the most sense for the rough stuff? I like bigger fish, I don't get much excited until they break 20". I saw those carp schools near Alex in my dreams, those would put a bend even in my 9wt for sure! I think I'm gonna go buy some San Juans now...(too lazy to tie).

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Either the 6 or 7 wt would be fine for roughfish. Your 9 should be able to handle some of the bigger fish, especially if you can find some buffalo. I used to fish my 9 all the time for roughies, now I mainly rotate between my 6 and 8 wts. You might want to lean toward the 7 if you want to fish smallies on the OT as well.

As far as being too lazy to tie, dude, the san juan worm is about the EASIEST pattern to tie. That's one of the beauties of the pattern.

Check your email.